Thursday, January 24, 2008

Flamini Seeks New Deal At Arsenal

Arsenal midfielder Mathieu Flamini, who almost left the Gunners in the summer, is hopeful that the club will extend his contract. The Frenchman's current contract runs out this summer, and although he has been in talks with the club, the two parties have yet to agree to a new deal.

Flamini's contract situation has seen the holding midfielder linked with Italian giants Juventus and Spanish team Valencia. However, Flamini insists that he would like to stay at Arsenal.

"I'm talking with the club. I am very happy and have some close friends here," said Flamini.

"I really hope that I will be staying and I'm very optimistic about it.

"Arsenal is my priority and I hope that everything gets sorted out because I love this club - the atmosphere is amazing, the new stadium, the supporters, everything.

"We are creating a new story here and I want to be part of that story."

Flamini was frustrated by a lack of first-team chances last season, but his impressive form this term has seen him take the place of Brazil captain Gilberto Silva. A virtual ever-present in the heart of the Arsenal squad alongside Cesc Fabregas, Flamini would be very difficult to replace.

Arsenal fans will be hoping that a new contract deal comes through before too many offers begin to come in.