Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Flamini Wants To Stay At Arsenal

Mathieu Flamini has made it clear that he wants to stay at Arsenal.

The Frenchman's contract runs out this summer but Arsene Wenger will be looking to extend Flamini's time at the club. An impressive goal from 25 yards out was a fine addition to the string of excellent performances that has seen the 23 year-old keep Brazil captain Gilberto Silva out of the starting XI.

Flamini's strength and athleticism have won over admirers both at the club and away, attracting Juventus and a few other suitors.

However, Flamini has publicly stated that he would like to stay at the club, and assured fans that contract talks are continuing.

"My priority is to stay here," he said. "I'm very happy here. I'm happy to play in the team and everything is good. My representatives are talking with the Club and I hope everything will be good. I want to play game after game. The rest, we will see later."

After almost leaving last summer, Flamini has secured his place as one of the most important figures in the red and white of Arsenal this season. Part of this is because he protects the back four while Spanish midfielder Cesc Fabregas forays forwards. The two seem to have established a close partnership both on the pitch and off.

"We are very close on and off the pitch," said Flamini of Fabregas. "We chill with each other off the pitch. That is important. But when we have to speak on the pitch we are doing it and finding a solution.

"I'm bit more defensive than him. He goes forward more so I cover Cesc, Alex [Hleb] and Tomas [Rosicky] in the midfield. I'm trying be the insurance policy and be a little bit bossy. That's my role. But I'm also trying to help the players up front and help Cesc as well because he is going forward.

"Sometimes he's tired and I try to help. Sometimes it's him and sometimes it's me. But I think we are a very good complement for each other."

The pair form one of the strongest central midfield partnerships in the Premier League, and it comes as great news that Flamini will be staying with Arsenal.