Saturday, November 17, 2007

Lehmann to stay at Arsenal till end of season

German international goalkeeper Jens Lehmann has stated his intention to stay with Arsenal through the end of this season.

The 38 year-old shot-stopper has been the subject of intense transfer speculation following his dip in form, and the loss of a first team spot to Manuel Almunia. Reports also implied that the Arsenal number one had fallen out with Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger after his criticism of the Frenchman's choice to play Manuel Almunia.

However, Arsene Wenger recently stated that Lehmann was '200% professional' and declared that he still had plenty of time to win his place back before the January transfer window.

It now seems that the German keeper will not leave the team during the window, despite having allegedly received offers from other clubs.

Lehmann said: "I want to stay with Arsenal until the end of the season.

"I have a responsibility with regard to my family and for my children, even if I were not to regain my place.

"I cannot just leave like that before the season ends."

This will come as a disappointment to some Gooners who hoped that Jussi Jaaskelainen would join the club, but I think we need to give the angry German another chance. He has, after all, served the club faithfully since 2003.