Monday, November 12, 2007

Sonko and Sagna to be reunited at Reading

Reading's Ibrahima Sonko will meet his cousin Bacary Sagna for the first time tonight when the Royals take on Arsenal at the Madejski.

Sonko was unaware that the brilliant Arsenal right-back was his cousin until his mother recently told him.

"Sagna is my cousin, apparently," said Sonko to the Reading Evening Post. "My mum told me he was, but I have never met him. The first time I will ever meet him will be Monday when we play against each other.

"I knew I had some cousins called Sagna, one of them is at Crawley and went on trial to Barnet, but I didn’t know the one at Arsenal was my cousin.

"I will say hello when I see him. Apparently he knows [that we are cousins] so it will be funny to see him. He’s doing well and he looks a very good player."

Sonko also spoke of some of his other cousins before the match though, controversially stating that he will kick Emmanuel Adebayor.

Daniel Bocande, Adebayor's teammate at Metz, apparently warned Sonko that Adebayor was too quick to be handled by anything other thank kicking.

"My cousin Daniel Bocande said to me ‘be careful because he is so quick'," said Sonko.

"When he has the ball at his feet he can be really fast. I think he is the complete player, but apparently he doesn’t like to be kicked.

"I’m not really like that, but if I have to kick him then I will do it. My cousin told me kicking him is the only way to stop him playing. If you do it early in the game it puts him off.

"When he starts smiling on the pitch you know he is going to play well, so hopefully he won’t be smiling."

Sounds like another case of less teams thinking they can boss Arsenal around by getting a bit physical. Well, they're wrong. With Mathieu Flamini and Cesc Fabregas enforcing the midfield, I don't think that we'll need to worry too much about getting bossed around by Reading.

All that this kicking talk will result in is a bad name for Sagna's poor cousin.