Tuesday, December 25, 2007

Almunia For England And Lehmann To Germany

Arsenal's current first-choice goalkeeper Manuel Almunia could become England's national team keeper, as he has never been called up for Spain and is in the process of acquiring English citizenship.

The keeper proved his worth to Arsene Wenger this season, replacing long-time Arsenal and Germany number one Jens Lehmann as the club's first-choice keeper. However, he has yet to get a cap for a national team.

"They (Spain) have never, never called me," said Almunia.

"If other people want me, I have to study my situation and take a decision because it is good for me - I will not close myself to anything."

"I always say I have to wait to see what is happening at that moment, or which goalkeeper England has, or which goalkeeper Spain has, look at the situation and take a decision," he continued.

"It would be a big decision but I wouldn't care if I had two days to take it."

Meanwhile, the player he has replaced, Jens Lehmann, is pondering a move away from the North London giants.

"I would not leave this club just because I was on the bench. But if I am going to change clubs, I would have to make my decision by the beginning of January and I expect to do that in little over a week," said Lehmann.

"That is just a week away and I am not actively looking for another club.

"I have had offers, but I can say that for the moment there is nothing concrete.

"I have spoken with nobody at Manchester City, perhaps Arsene Wenger spoke with someone from Wolfsburg and my lawyer has spoken with people from other teams, but I can’t say which clubs."